By Coach Jimmy Hays Nelson
Wow, I can’t believe the last 90 days have flown by! It is time for my highly anticipated review of Tony Horton’s NEW P90X2. Since 2004 thousands of people, including myself, have had their lives completely changed from doing the original P90X.
My wife and I did our first round of P90X in 2004 before it started to dominate TV infomercials and YouTube videos. It played a huge role, not only in my 100 pound weight loss, but in completely transforming my body’s composition. So when I heard that Tony and the Beachbody team were developing a sequel, I again wanted to be one of the first to try it.
Since that first round of P90X in 2004, I have had the privilege of getting to know Tony Horton as a friend and workout with him personally on numerous occasions. If Tony has an exercise, secret, or technique, I’ve done it. So I wanted to share an ‘insider’s’ perspective with my P90X2 review.
I started P90X2 in January of 2012 right after a holiday season where I indulged more than usual. I like to try to keep myself in pretty good shape year round, but that holiday season, I over did it. As a P90X and INSANITY graduate, I was not happy with where I started this journey.
Keep reading to see my P90X2 Results Photos!
I will tell you right off the bat. P90X2 IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS! This program was designed for people who have already done a program like P90X, INSANITY, ASYLUM, or that are in pretty good shape to start with.
Creator Tony Horton shares differences between P90X & P90X2
P90X2 is a 90-day program, just like P90X. It uses the same philosophy of muscle confusion where you are constantly mixing and matching the exercises you do for ultimate results. P90X2 is also broken into 3 Phases just like the original.
P90X2 Phase 1 – Foundation Phase
The first thing that was very apparent in the Foundation Phase is the focus on your core strength and balance. Almost every exercise incorporated some kind of medicine ball or balance ball. The first week can be a bit frustrating. Spending all your time trying to find your balance, falling off the ball, and learning these unique moves you can feel like you aren’t getting in your usual sweat-inducing workout. But I encourage you to stick with it. What it showed me very quickly is that my chest, arms, and back were strong but I seriously lacked strength and stability in my core!
Here is a short sneak peak from a Core workout in P90X2 Phase 1
Keep reading to see my P90X2 Results Photos!
P90X2 Phase 2 – Strength Phase
Right about the time you master some of the ‘circus tricks’ of Phase 1, it’s time to get back to old school strength work with Phase 2. Tony brings back many of the P90X moves we all loved so much, but now you are able to incorporate your new found core strength with the use of the balance and medicine balls.
Here is a short preview of P90X2 Shoulders & Arms from Phase 2
P90X2 Phase 3 – Performance Phase
This by far was my FAVORITE phase! As you heard Tony describe in the video at the top of the page, this phase incorporates a new type of training called Post-Activation Potentiation. I’m not a scientist, and I’m still not totally clear on what it is and how it works. All I know is – I LOVE P.A.P WORKOUTS! Phase 3 has two of them: P.A.P Upper and P.A.P Lower. They are challenging, fun, and totally bring out your inner athlete!
See a preview and explanation of P.A.P from P90X2 Contributor Dr. Marcus Elliott
Keep reading to see my P90X2 Review, Results, & Photos!
P90X2 Review: Pros & Cons
All reviews should have a few pros and cons – so let’s start with the negative.
P90X2 Review Cons
- No Cardio. As an INSANITY Cast Member, I love my cardio. P90X2 does not have a true ‘cardio workout’. Now that doesn’t mean you won’t work up quite a sweat as you get your heart rate up. While not a pure cardio routine, the new Plyocide workout will have you reaching for your P90X Results & Recovery Formula
- Requires Patience. You have to be willing to try, fail, and show back up the next day – especially in Phase 1. With the incorporation of medicine and balance balls, the first few days can be quite frustrating. I encourage you to stick with it. You will surprise yourself with what you are capable of by Week 4.
- Not for Everyone. As I stated before P90X2 is NOT for beginners. If you haven’t worked out in some time, swallow your pride and start with a program like Power 90, RevAbs, or even the original P90X.
P90X2 Review Pros
- No 90 Minute Yoga! The #1 complaint most people have with the original P90X is 90 long minutes of yoga. P90X2 is an hour long, faster paced, and moves along much quicker than the original. No crazy balance postures.
- Foam Rolling. P90X2 introduces you to the concept of the Foam Roller. Each workout starts with a slow progressive stretch and foam roll. It really allows your body to wake up and feel awesome. Plus it makes the actual workouts much shorter!
- Only workouts 5 Days a Week with P90X2. Even though the actual workouts are shorter, they are very intense. Because of the added intensity the importance for recovery time is crucial. Plus the second rest day P90X2 encourages you to get ‘Active Rest’ like going for a walk or a leisurely bike ride.
OK OK – the part you have all waited for. Did it work? What were your results, Jimmy??
P90X2 Results: Bottom Line
I had three goals with P90X2. To gain muscle mass, drop body fat and improve my athletic performance. I’ve said a lot in this post, but pictures speak a thousand words. Do you think P90X2 Works?
All I know is that I am thrilled with my results. My weight actually went up but my body fat percentage dropped. I was able to take two days off a week and shortened the time I spent working out. The meal plan is simplified and even has options for vegan, vegetarian, and paleo diets!
Now its your turn to TAKE ACTION!!!
Are you ready to take your fitness to the NEXT LEVEL? Then your next step is to CLICK HERE and get your copy of P90X2. By ordering thru Nelsongy Fitness you will get TWO BONUS WORKOUTS FREE, plus I will use my expertise and experience to Coach you through the program. Your level of success and ultimate results just doubled by teaming with me and my team. So click the following link and get your P90X2 today …
I hope you enjoyed reading my P90X2 review and found my experience helpful. I look forward to partnering with you so we get you the results YOU DESERVE! By sharing this posts with all your friends via social media we can team up to End the Trend of obesity!
In this thing Together! – Coach Jimmy
Jimmy Hays Nelson Beachbody Coach is a self-proclaimed ‘former fat guy’. In his mid 20’s he was an overweight college dropout, who found himself living back at home with his parents. Knowing something had to change, he took action.
Through his transformation journey he lost 100 pounds, started his own business, was featured in the Shaun T workout series INSANITY, and has been seen multiple times on QVC with his buddy Tony Horton promoting P90X.
He founded NELSONGY FITNESS with his wife Kelly to reach out to give hope and support to those that are dissatisfied with their current situation. Whether you are lacking physically, emotionally, financially, or nutritionally we are here to help you see REAL RESULTS!